Yesterday, just after the battle with the rush hour on my way to the office, my batchmate back in highschool, Melvin Garcia sent me a message through YM. I thought it was just a normal conversation with an often-to-see friend but I was wrong. He was hesitant at first but eventually he told me the bad news. Our batchmate, his friend, Christian Joy delos Reyes, was diagnosed with "acute myeloid leukemia". Another type of health and life battle.
Acute myeloid leukemia (AML), also known as acute myelogenous leukemia, is a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells, characterized by the rapid growth of abnormal white blood cells that accumulate in the bone marrow and interfere with the production of normal blood cells. AML is the most common acute leukemia affecting adults, and its incidence increases with age. Although AML is a relatively rare disease, accounting for approximately 1.2% of cancer deaths in the United States,[1] its incidence is expected to increase as the population ages.

I was surprised and can't find words to say. It was sad and of course painful for her and her family. According to Melvin, AML is not even in Joy's family health history. She got it somewhere, she didn't know how.
Now the problem is financial support so she can start her chemotherapy. She has not undergone any medication yet. And for every chemo session it would cost her P20,000. Melvin asked some help. I understand him since he's one of Joy's closest friends. I may not be able to help financially but I can do something. So, I checked my friends list in Facebook and an idea popped in my mind. Another suggestion from my colleague that we can come up with a fund raising event for Joy. With these, I composed an email blast for my friends informing them of Joy's situation. This is the best help I can think of, to use the internet-Facebook to help a friend.
Thank God! Replies came in my inbox:
>> OMG! meron bang account na pedeng paglagyan ng donation?
>> i'm working as a reseach coodinator sa cancer research center ng veterans.. i'll try to talk with some oncologist with regards this matter, and some medrep as well para makahingi ng discount. don't know lang kung oncologist or hematologist ang may hawak sa kanya.. di na rin naman iba sakin si joy.. try to ask w/ some help here... inform ko kagad sila once ok..
>> i think its a good idea to open an account for her.. for those who want to give financial help for her..
>> yep. bank account would be better. at least hinde hassle sa mga like magdonate. nainform na ba ung school natin, they could extend help din para sa kanya.... need nya ngayon ng prayers T_T
I felt like we can make our plans happen for her. Little by little. And of course with God's grace, all things are possible. I pray that we can coordinate with IV-Narra's (of our batch) President Amar Torrevillas to help in coordinating with our batch members and if possible with our alma mater, NHS. I'm calling the attention of NHS batch 1997-2001. Please help us in raising funds for Christian Joy delos Reyes' medication. Your little help and effort can make her feel and health better.
If we'll put ourselves in hers, we would think of all questions that we could think of. But then its best to think of ways we can use to help, at least. Like Melvin. I'm not sure why he chose to ask me for some help but I understand. He may desperately want to do something for his friend. This proofs that a true friend exists. That friends are like precious gems that you would want to take care of and would do anything just to keep him/her.
I would want to end this with a prayer;
Dear God,
Please help us in this battle, specially Christian Joy and her family. Give us means so we can help in her medication. Help us in spreading our intentions to our batchmates, NHS teachers, students and some other friends. Give us all humble hearts to come together and help our friend. May your blessings pour unto Christian Joy. Make her strong so she can bear all this. I know You wouldn't leave her alone in winning over the battle. In this we pray to our Almighty God in Jesus Name. Amen.


No comments:
Post a Comment